The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum Bochum (DBM) is with his about 400,000 readers per calendar year 1 of the mainly frequented museums of Germany.
It is 1 of the most crucial mining museums of the entire world and at the same time a popular study institute for Montanhistory.
The beginnings of the mining museum go back for the 1860s when the Westfälische Berggewerkschaftskasse (WBK) furnishes a frequent exhibition of mountain-architectural utensils in Bochum which served mainly the mountain school lessons. In the conclusion of the twenties factors were being formulated by associates of the WBK and the city of Bochum for the basis of a publicly available mining museum.
The basis deal for the historical museum of the mining was shut on the 1st of April, 1930 between the city of Bochum and the WBK, as the first corridor of the museum serves the outdated cattle corridor of the shut Bochum slaughterhouse. On the place of the slaughterhouse a new setting up of the museum setting up with further exhibition area was explained in 1935 according to draughts by Fritz Schupp and Heinrich Holzapfel.
In 1936 1 started with the building of the customer mine.
In 1943 the not still great museum new buildings were being wrecked by allied air raids extensively, the customer mine was altered for the air defence. Currently in 1946 the museum was reopened with a compact exhibition. In the nineteen fifties the museum was anew created up and prolonged, in 1960 the distances of the view mine on a full size of two,510 metres are formulated.
The shaft tower was moved in the decades 1973 and 1974 by the shut mine “Germania” in Dortmund-Marten to Bochum. The conversion was financed from usually means of the North Rhine-Westphalian Ministry of Education and the Arts.